Run Like An Animal!
Saturday, May 16, 2020 – 4-Mile Run/Walk
Run to the Shrine is a great opportunity for both competitive racers and casual walkers to show their support for the Zoo, which is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that receives no tax support. We rely on our admissions, memberships, donations and events like this to keep the Zoo “running” and support our many conservation efforts and education programs.
Run to the Shrine features:
- A 4-mile course that curves through the Zoo, up to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun and back down into the Zoo.
- A picturesque ~1,300-foot elevation gain with stunning views of Colorado Springs below.
- A commemorative performance T-shirt featuring 2020’s animal mascot (limited quantities of women’s sizes available – register early).
- Chip timing for the competitive athletes and weekend warriors, and accommodations for jogging strollers with safety equipment for the families.
- The Race concludes with a party at Lodge at Moose Lake.
- Your registration includes admission to the Zoo for the rest of the day.
- It’s your only opportunity all year to travel the Shrine Road by foot!
*Please note – only credit and debit cards will be accepted for day-of registrations. Sorry, cash and checks will not be accepted.
No membership or military discounts will be honored for day-of registration.
Attention active-duty, veteran and retired military! Email [email protected] for a promo code for $5 off registrations for you and your dependents in the same household. Military discount valid through May 13. No Military discounts for day-of registration will be issued.
Your entry fee includes:
- a commemorative Run to the Shrine performance T-shirt with our 2020 animal mascot featured on the front,
- chip timing for all runners/walkers,
- entry to the Post-Race Expo following the race,
- a chance to take home a one-of-a-kind poo medal, awarded to our 1st-, 2nd- and 3rd- place finishers, for both men and women, and
- admission to the Zoo for the rest of race day.
Free gift for donations!
Make your support of the Zoo go even further! Ask your friends and family to join you in the support of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo by pledging a donation. All donations will support important programs like:
- the care and enrichment of our animals,
- on-grounds breeding of endangered species like black-footed ferrets and Wyoming toads,
- conservation projects around the world, and
- education programs to foster a love of wildlife in our local youth.
When you raise $100 or more to support Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, you’ll receive a FREE GIFT, recognizing your commitment to the Zoo and conservation of wildlife.
- Long-sleeve performance shirt
- Insulated water bottle
- Bamboo utensil set
You’ll be given more details and instructions on inviting your friends and family to pledge after you register.
Schedule of Events
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
(Times/Locations subject to change)
- 7:00 a.m. – Registration Opens – Registration tent located in the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo south parking lot
- 8:15 a.m. – Registration and Packet pick-up closes
- 8:30 a.m. – Race Starts
- 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. – Post-Event Celebration, at Lodge at Moose Lake
- 10 a.m. – Awards Ceremony for overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd for women and men.
Pre-registered participants can pick up their race materials on event day starting at 7:00 a.m. at the entrance to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo south parking lot.
Rules, Regulations & FAQs
- Jog/run/walk participants will be timed individually based on participating age categories.
- Only registered participants are permitted on the course above the top of the Zoo. Friends and family of registrants are permitted to cheer on the portions of the course within the Zoo (including the starting line and finish line). Regular Zoo admission applies for friends and family.
- From out of town? Visit our Stay and Play page.
- For the safety of all participants, we do not allow skateboards, roller blades/inline skates/Heely’s®, bicycles or pets on the run course.
- Jogging strollers with tethers & handbrakes are welcome for the race. Strollers without this specific safety equipment are only allowed on a small portion of the race course, and will be turned around at the top of the Zoo for safety. Check the FAQs for specific details.
- All fees are non-refundable. Run to the Shrine will go on as scheduled rain or shine, so please come prepared for inclement weather.
- The race fee is not tax deductible, but any additional donations are tax deductible.
- Participant T-shirts cannot be guaranteed to those who register on race day.
- The Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun is not open during the race because we need participants to complete the race in our allotted time for the road closure. With your race registration, however, you receive complimentary Zoo admission for the rest of the day, which also includes admission to the Shrine. Feel free to drive up after the road reopens to vehicle traffic and spend as much time as you like!
- View or print a Frequently Asked Questions page here.
Course Map & Parking
Please check back in January 2020 for the course map.
Ample parking for registered race participants and their friends and family will be available in the Zoo’s parking lot.
We invite you to join us after the Race!
Celebrate completing the race with food and fun, as well as a chance to interact with local businesses from 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. at Lodge at Moose Lake!
Stay tuned for this list closer to the event.
If you are interested in becoming an Exhibitor for Run to the Shrine, please email [email protected].
Become an Exhibitor
We invite you to host an Exhibitor Station
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s Run to the Shrine features a family-friendly 4-mile run/walk/stroll. We want your organization to be a part of it! High visibility, low overhead and big fun are the three key elements every organization looks for when participating in an event and Run to the Shrine guarantees all three.
Connect with the MOST POPULAR attraction in Colorado Springs! We expect hundreds of participants, from elite runners to family walkers, for this one-of-a-kind event. The Zoo invites you and your staff to participate in this year’s event by hosting an Exhibitor Station.
Please call our Events Manager at 719-424-7847 or email [email protected].
All proceeds from Run to the Shrine benefit Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.